Connectionists: available: postdoctoral position in computational neuroscience

Ila Fiete ilafiete at caltech.edu
Wed Sep 10 16:37:25 EDT 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I apologize for the cross-posting.

I'd appreciate it if you would pass this on to anybody looking for a
postdoc position in computational neuroscience.

Best regards,
Ila Fiete

=======================================

Postdoctoral position in Computational Neuroscience

I'm writing to announce an immediate opening for a postdoctoral position
in computational neuroscience at the Center for Learning and Memory, at
the University of Texas at Austin.  Projects will involve modeling the
dynamics of neural activity and learning in networks that underlie
complex behaviors, as well as studying properties of the neural code in
sensory and motor systems. Example systems include, but are not limited
to, neural integrators, song production and learning in songbirds, and
navigation in ants and rodents. Collaborations and interactions with the
greater neuroscience community are encouraged, and projects will
typically involve collaborations with experimentalists. The initial
appointment will be for 1 year with a possibility of extension up to 3
years.

Environment: The Center for Learning and Memory is a center for
integrative neuroscience at the University of Texas, Austin, and
consists of an energetic mix of junior and senior faculty who use
imaging, electrophysiology, molecular biology and biochemistry,
genetics, psychology, physics, and computer science techniques to study
the brain. The CLM is part of a much larger neuroscience community at UT
Austin. UT Austin has excellent programs in engineering, non-linear
dynamical systems, and the sciences. For more information, please see
http://www.klab.caltech.edu/~ila/ and http://www.clm.utexas.edu/ and
http://www.utexas.edu/neuroscience/.  Austin is the 16th-largest US
city, and is home to many hi-tech and Fortune 1000 corporations.

To Apply: Applicants must have strong quantitative training, and should
have received a Ph.D. in Physics, Mathematics, Computational
Neuroscience, Computer Science, or Engineering by the start date of the
position. The ability to program in Matlab or C and some knowledge of
neuroscience is desirable but not necessary. A demonstrated dedication
to and enthusiasm for research is a must. If interested, please email me
with 1) a copy of your CV or resume, 2) a statement of research
interests, and 3) please arrange to have 3 letters of recommendation
sent to me by email. I will review applications once I have received the
requested information. Application review will begin immediately, and
continue until the position is filled.

With best regards,

Ila Fiete