Connectionists: NIPS Symposium and Workshop on Algebraic Methods in Machine Learning

Risi Kondor risi at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Oct 1 16:50:50 EDT 2008

WORKSHOP ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
Algebraic Methods in Machine Learning
NIPS 08 Symposium and Workshop
December 11-12, Vancouver and Whistler, BC

There has recently been a surge of interest in algebraic methods in
machine learning. In no particular order, this includes: new
approaches to ranking problems; the budding field of algebraic
statistics; and various applications of non-commutative Fourier
transforms. The aim of the symposium and workshop is to bring together
these distinct communities, explore connections, and showcase
algebraic methods to the machine learning community at large.

We invite submissions for oral and poster presentations on algebraic
methods in machine learning. Submissions should consist of a 1-2 page
abstract and should be emailed to amlworksho... at gmail.com in pdf or ps
format by 10/24/2008. Acceptance/rejection notices will be emailed by
November 3.

Following the symposium and workshop, we intend to invite the workshop
participants to submit longer documents for inclusion as chapters in
an edited book on algebraic methods in machine learning.

Organizers:

Risi Kondor
Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit
University College London