Connectionists: PhD and Postdoc positions on neuronal morphogenesis and network formation

Arjen van Ooyen arjen.van.ooyen at falw.vu.nl
Wed Jun 4 06:04:16 EDT 2008

Applications are invited for PhD and Postdoctoral positions in the
Neuroinformatics Group of the Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive
Research (CNCR), VU University Amsterdam. The positions are funded by an
EU-FP7 grant for the collaborative project “Self-Constructing Computing
Systems” (SECO) and by the NWO Computational Life Sciences project
“Neuronal Network Formation through Reciprocal Interactions between
Activity and Structure” (NETFORM). The aim of our research is to
investigate the principles by which neurons grow out and assemble
themselves into functioning circuits.

The first research line focuses on the development of dendritic and
axonal growth models. We will create computational models of neuronal
morphogenesis in which cell-type specific axonal and dendritic trees
develop through neurite elongation and branching as mediated by the
actions of growth cones and in interaction with the cellular
environment. A major challenge is to find a balanced level of
description of neurite outgrowth based on cellular, biophysical
mechanisms (e.g., cytoskeletal dynamics) that will be suitable for an
algorithmic implementation. The models will be used to study, for
example, competitive interactions in neuronal morphogenesis, the impact
of electrical activity on neuronal morphology, the formation of aberrant
neuronal morphology in brain diseases, and axonal navigation in the
development of cortical and thalamic circuitry.

The second research line focuses on the reciprocal interactions between
neuronal network structure and activity dynamics in developing neural
circuits. Using computational models, we will explore the impact of
activity-dependent plasticity rules (modulating neuronal morphology,
structural connectivity, synaptic strengths, and intrinsic neuronal
excitability) on the evolution of developing neuronal networks under
their own (spontaneous) firing activity. One important open question
that we will address is whether homeostatic, activity-dependent
processes at the local synapse or neuron level are capable of achieving
homeostasis of global network activity. We will study whether networks
will evolve towards self-consistent states, in which firing patterns
stabilizes the synaptic connectivity structure that also gives rise to
these firing patterns.

Ideal candidates should combine a strong neurobiological interest and
knowledge with an excellent background in computational/biophysical
modeling (research line 1) or computational neuroscience/neuronal
network modeling (research line 2).

PhD positions are for a period of 4 years, Postdoctoral positions
between 2 to maximally 4 years.

For further information about these positions, please contact Dr. Arjen
van Ooyen, arjen.van.ooyen at cncr.vu.nl, or Dr. Jaap van Pelt,
jaap.van.pelt at cncr.vu.nl. Application letters including a CV, research
experience, a short statement of research interests, and contact details
of two referees should be sent by email to Dr. Arjen van Ooyen before
the 7th July 2008.

--
Dr. Arjen van Ooyen
Neuroinformatics Group