Connectionists: time dependant non-linearity in motion opponency, and the rivalry of LRAM and SRAM

Eero Simoncelli eero at cns.nyu.edu
Sun Aug 17 04:23:28 EDT 2008

Dear Pooya,

The main nonlinearity in the Adelson/Bergen energy model is the
squaring (i.e., the "energy" computation), which comes before the
subtraction.   They also described a "normalized" version, in a 1986
conference paper, in which the opponent energy signal is divided by
the static energy, pointing out the relationship to least-squares
computations of motion from gradient measurements (Lucas & Kanade,
1981).

     The Extraction of Spatio-Temporal Energy in Human and Machine
Vision
     Adelson, E. H., and Bergen, J. R.,
     Proc. Workshop on Motion: Representation and Analysis (pp.
151-155), Charleston, SC; May 7-9 (1986).

Related "divisive normalization" descriptions of the physiology are
presented in

     A Model of Neuronal Responses in Visual Area MT
     E P Simoncelli and D J Heeger,
     Vision Research, vol.38(5), pp. 743--761, Mar 1998.

The normalization is idealized as an instantaneous computation in this
paper, but the real system presumably accomplishes it using feedback.

Best,

Eero Simoncelli
    Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
    Professor,
       Center for Neural Science, and
       Courant Institute for Mathematical Sciences
       New York University