Connectionists: New Experiment for Neural-Inspired Evolution of Artwork

Jimmy Secretan jimmy at thepublicgrid.org
Sat Nov 3 11:48:58 EDT 2007

I would like to post the following announcement to the list about a
neural-inspired interactive evolution experiment we would like to
announce the Connectionist community:

[BEGIN ANNOUNCEMENT]

Dear Colleagues,

The Evolutionary Complexity Group (E-plex) (http://eplex.cs.ucf.edu) at
the University of Central Florida is pleased to announce a new
interactive website called Picbreeder (http://www.picbreeder.org), which
is a large-scale on-line experiment in Collaborative Interactive
Evolution (CIE) of artwork through neural networks. We invite the
Connectionists community to visit and participate.

Images on Picbreeder are rendered by kinds of neural networks called
Compositional Pattern Producing Networks (CPPNs), which are in turn
evolved by the NeuroEvolution of Augmenting Topologies (NEAT) algorithm.
  Users can select and breed the CPPNs that render the most appealing
images, and publish them to the community.

Most importantly, users can continue evolving others' CPPNs, encouraging
a continual increase in image complexity. As a result, users have been
able to evolve genuinely recognizable objects such as faces, cars, and
animals, all without any a priori knowledge in the system, a novel
achievement for neural-inspired methods.

Please see our recent short publication on Picbreeder for more information:

http://eplex.cs.ucf.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=28#secretan.leonardotrans07

Picbreeder: Collaborative Interactive Evolution of Images
Jimmy Secretan, Nicholas Beato, David B. D'Ambrosio, Adelein Rodriguez,
Adam Campbell and Kenneth O. Stanley
In: Leonardo (Transactions Section) Vol. 41, No. 1 (2007)

[END ANNOUNCEMENT]

Thank you.

Sincerely,

	Jimmy Secretan