Connectionists: Competition: Predict every spike!

RENAUD JOLIVET renaud.jolivet at epfl.ch
Sun Mar 18 07:44:06 EDT 2007

Here is our Challenge, open to everybody in neural modeling, machine
learning, or similar fields:

- Is it possible to predict the timing of every spike that a neuron
emits with 2ms precision?
- Is it possible to predict the subthreshold membrane potential with a
precision of 2mV for arbitrary input?

Annotated training data and test stimuli from several cells under
different stimulation conditions are available at
http://icwww.epfl.ch/~gerstner//QuantNeuronMod2007/challenge.html

Important dates

* Data set available by March 16.
* Participants must submit their prediction by June 1st.
* Winner announced around June 10 .
* Winning results will be presented at the workshop June 25/26

Quantitative Neuron Modeling: Predicting every spike?
http://icwww.epfl.ch/~gerstner//QuantNeuronMod2007/

Competition and Prizes
The competition is organized in several categories, called A,B,C,D.
Participants may run in one or several categories

* 1st prize :

- 4 nights of hotel in Lausanne at the Lake of Geneva, June 23-27.
- Free participation in the Quantitative Neuron Modeling workshop June
25/26
- 35-minute-slot for talk as an Invited Speaker at the workshop.

* 2nd prize:

- Free participation in the Quantitative Neuron Modeling workshop June
25/26
- Poster presentation and poster spotlight in the workshop.

Methods and Models:
The only aspect that counts for us is the quality of the prediction on
the test set. In terms of methods, anything goes (machine learning,
compartmental model, integrate-and-fire model, systems identification,
etc...)

For details, see
http://icwww.epfl.ch/~gerstner//QuantNeuronMod2007/challenge.htm
We hope that many people will take up the challenge. Let the best
model win!

The organisation team
Renaud Jolivet
Arnd Roth