Connectionists: several open positions

Ulrike von Luxburg ule at tuebingen.mpg.de
Sun Mar 11 13:36:30 EDT 2007

The Department of Empirical Inference, headed by Bernhard Schölkopf,
at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tübingen,
Germany, intends to fill several open positions, ranging from postdoc
to the position of a non-permanent research associate professor (W2).

Applications are encouraged in all research areas covered by the
department. We are looking for persons with a strong background in one
or several of the followings areas:

* learning theory
* algorithm design
* applications of machine learning to computational biology, vision,
   image processing, and graphics
* computational psychology

In particular, we have open positions in the learning theory group
headed by Ulrike von Luxburg.

Applicants should hold a PhD in computer science, mathematics or
related fields and have an outstanding publication record at the
relevant conferences (e.g., NIPS, ICML, COLT) and journals (e.g.,
JMLR, Machine Learning). We are looking for highly motivated and
creative individuals who enjoy collaborating in a team of researchers
with various cultural and scientific backgrounds. Applicants should be
capable of conducting independent research, willing to (co-)supervise
PhD students, and contribute to the success of our group as a
whole. The working language in our group is English.

The Department for Empirical Inference is a young and energetic
machine learning group. The Max Planck Institute for Biological
Cybernetic provides an excellent research environment in all respects.

The Max Planck Society is an equal opportunity employer and wishes
to increase the proportion of women in areas in which they are
underrepresented. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.

Applications should include a statement of research experience and
interests, a CV, and contact details of at least two referees. Please
send your applications in electronic form to
sabrina.nielebock at tuebingen.mpg.de