Connectionists: Postdoc Position in Computational Neuroscience/Psychophysics

Matthias Bethge mbethge at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Jan 24 13:22:31 EST 2007

=========================
	open postdoc position
=========================

The newly established research group `Computational Vision and
Neuroscience' at the Max-Planck-Institute for Biological Cybernetics
in Tuebingen has an open position for one postdoc, starting from
April 2007 onwards.

The ideal candidate would have a background in psychophysics and
would be interested in pursuing research with a strong emphasis on
computational questions.

The project aims to link mathematical concepts in computational
vision to empirically measurable properties of human visual
processing. In particular, we seek to test and explore which
nonlinear processes matter most during the transition from local,
gradual cues defined in low-level image representations to the global
percept caused by an image. We are seeking an outstanding candidate
with a background in psychophysics and/or theoretical neuroscience in
early or mid-level vision. We also expect and encourage candidates to
bring in their own ideas in shaping the project.

The group is funded by the `Bernstein award' to Matthias Bethge and
entertains close links to the Empirical Inference Department headed
by Bernhard Schoelkopf. The MPI provides an excellent research
environment with possibilities for multiple interactions between
neurobiological, psychophysical, and theoretical vision research.
Possible collaborations of particular interest to this project
include joint work with Felix Wichmann and Roland Fleming.

The salary will be on the level of TVoD 13 (BAT IIa) or higher, and
the duration of the contract is negotiable. For additional
information, see http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/bs/groups/cvn/, or
contact mbethge at tuebingen.mpg.de .