Connectionists: Post-doc position in Paris: cAMP/PKA imaging in neurons

Pierre Vincent pierre.vincent at snv.jussieu.fr
Fri Dec 14 08:53:30 EST 2007

Spatial and temporal integation of neuromodulatory signals through
the cAMP/PKA signaling cascade in neurons
A 2-year postdoctoral position funded by the « Agence Nationale pour
la Recherche » (ANR) is available in the team of Pierre VINCENT in
the laboratory "Neurobiology of Adaptive Processes" UMR 7102 in Paris
(http://npa.snv.jussieu.fr), starting in january 2008.
Our team is interested in the cellular processing of neuromodulatory
signals impinging on neurons. While conventional methods have
demonstrated the physiological role played by cyclic nucleotides in
controlling neuronal properties, little is known about the
integrating processes involved in these responses. This is
particularly important in the case of neurons, which have several
distinct cellular compartments with different biological functions.
We use genetically-encoded FRET probes to directly monitor dynamic
changes in cyclic nucleotide signaling at the subcellular level in
real time and in morphologically-intact neurons. We have demonstrated
that activation of the 5-HT7 serotonin receptor sequentially
activates PKA in different cellular compartments (membrane, cytosol,
nucleus) with different efficacies and time-courses. We have also
demonstrated the importance of phosphodiesterases in regulating
signal amplitude. Using advanced optical methods, we now want to
study signal integration in other subcellular compartments (dendritic
tree and spines) and monitor the modalities of signal propagation
between compartments. Our studies will focus on the post-synaptic
integration of the dopamine signal in the striatum and Nucleus
accumbens in brain slice preparations, where the release of
endogenous dopamine will be triggered by addictive drugs known to
produce massive increases in extracellular dopamine concentration.
This project will be carried out in parallel with our ongoing in vivo
imaging project.
Profile : The candidate will have a solid experience in intracellular
signal integration, not necessarily in the field of neurosciences.
Quantitative analysis planned in this project implies a basic
knowledge of physics. Experience in electrophysiology is a plus.
Application should include a letter of motivation, CV and summary of
current and past research experience. The salary will be determined
following ANR guidelines.
Contact : Pierre VINCENT; e-mail: pierre.vincent at snv.jussieu.fr;
phone: 33 1 44 27 25 88
Related publications:
Gervasi et al, J Neurosci, 27:2744, 2007
Hepp et al, J Neurochem, 102:1875, 2007
Vincent et al,: EMBO Rep, 7:1154, 2006