Connectionists: Postdoctoral Position in Machine Learning and Bioinformatics

ICG Campbell, Engineering Mathematics C.Campbell at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 13:20:40 EDT 2006

Postdoctoral Position in Machine Learning and Bioinformatics
University of Bristol, United Kingdom

We are seeking to appoint an outstanding postdoctoral researcher
interested in machine learning and bioinformatics to work with
Dr. Colin Campbell, University of Bristol, United Kingdom.
This project will involve the design of new algorithms and data
analysis techniques in addition to an important core application study.
We will use a variety of methods from modern machine learning, including
Bayesian techniques and probabilistic graphical methods, kernel-based
methods and other approaches. The core application study will be the
use of unsupervised and semi-supervised learning  methods to delineate
subtypes of cancer and genes differentially expressed in these subtypes.
This will lead through to gene knockdown studies using the new technology
of siRNA (small inteferring RNAs) by our cancer research collaborators.
We have had significant success with our preliminary project and machine
learning techniques played a critical role in target selection.

Aside from this core programme, the appointee will have the freedom
to pursue research in machine learning, bioinformatics, statistics
and cancer informatics, according to their interests. Topics of interest
may include semi-supervised learning and data fusion, for example. The
Research
Assistant will be a member of the proposed Intelligent Systems Lab, Faculty
of
Engineering, Bristol University. Other researchers in the Lab with
interests in machine learning and bioinformatics include Nello Cristianini
and Tijl de Bie.

The deadline for applications is: ***  9.00 am on 30th November 2006  ***

Further details are available at:

http://www.bris.ac.uk/boris/jobs/ads?ID=57694

Interested candidates must apply through the online application on this
webpage.

C.Campbell at bristol.ac.uk