Connectionists: Gatsby faculty recruitment

Peter Dayan dayan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 02:20:59 EST 2006

The Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit at UCL is looking to
recruit a junior or senior level faculty in machine learning or
statistics. We are especially interested in candidates whose work in
these fields integrates well with the Unit's focus on probabilistic
inference and learning, or its wider interests in the brain.

Along with the statistical machine learning focus at Gatsby, led by
Yee Whye Teh, UCL offers a rich environment across the breadth of the
field.  Activities in these areas are anchored by the new Centre for
Computational Statistics and Machine Learning which is directed by
John Shawe-Taylor, involving the departments of Computer Science (Mark
Herbster; Massimiliano Pontil), Statistics (Phil Dawid; Trevor
Sweeting) and Gatsby itself.

The Gatsby Unit was set up at UCL in 1998 as a research institute
devoted to computational neuroscience and machine learning. We have
core funding for five faculty, eight postdocs and around twelve PhD
students. PIs can raise additional funds through grants. We have no
undergraduate programme, so only teaching and supervision of
graduate-level Gatsby students is required. We have close ties with
the Departments of Anatomy, Computer Science, Psychology, Physiology
and Statistics at UCL and with groups in Engineering and Physics
(Zoubin Ghahramani, David MacKay) at Cambridge and beyond. We are
located in a leafy haven in Queen Square, London.

Applications, consisting of a CV, a statement of research interests
and accomplishments and full contact details for three academic
referees should be sent to Alexandra Boss by email: alexandra 'at'
gatsby.ucl.ac.uk, or post: Gatsby Unit, UCL, Alexandra House, 17 Queen
Square, London WC1N 3AR, UK. Applicants are asked to provide
standardised monitoring information by completing and returning the
forms available at:
www.gatsby.ucl.ac.uk/vacancies/Applications_by_CV.pdf

Applications must arrive no later than 5th January 2007.

For further information, please see www.gatsby.ucl.ac.uk; for informal
enquiries, please contact Yee Whye Teh at ywteh 'at' gatsby.ucl.ac.uk

We particularly welcome applications from women and ethnic minorities.