Connectionists: Jobs: Research Associate / Research Assistant: neural communication

Stefan Wermter stefan.wermter at sunderland.ac.uk
Tue Nov 7 09:11:31 EST 2006

Research Associate in communication and neural networks
(NESTCOM project) Ref: CTR020/1277
Fixed term from 1st January 2007 to 31st December 2008
Part time – 18.5 hours per week
£19,920 to £20,808 per annum, pro rata
subject to contract

Research Assistant in communication and neural networks
(NESTCOM project) Ref: CTR021/1276
Fixed term from 1st January 2007 to 31st December 2008
Part time – 18.5 hours per week
£13,802 to £18,673 per annum, pro rata
subject to contract

Our focus in this project NESTCOM is to develop a scientific
roadmap for “what it means to communicate”. This project is
coordinated at the Centre for Hybrid Intelligent Systems at the
University of Sunderland ( www.his.sunderland.ac.uk ). A wealth of
new knowledge has been produced by recent NEST (New and Emerging
Science and Technology) projects in the EU exploring verbal and
visual communication. In this project we will explore the
characteristics of human communication and their relationships to
computational neural networks and mirror neurons. One particular
focus will be on language processing. In support of the NEST
initiative we will produce an interdisciplinary roadmap which
should lead to a better understanding of the neural,
computational and social aspects of communication.

1. The *Research Associate* will assist to coordinate the
interdisciplinary project NESTCOM and road map development for
“NESTCOM what it means to communicate”. You will be educated to
PhD level or possess substantial research experience. A higher
degree, or equivalent qualification and extensive experience in
computing is essential, as is knowledge of natural language
processing, neural networks or non-verbal visual communication.
Knowledge of mirror neuron theory is desirable.

2. The *Research Assistant* will support the interdisciplinary project
NESTCOM by supporting the analysis of NEST project research
results, support workshop and meeting organisation as well as
dissemination and website development. An honours degree, or
equivalent qualification, in a computing discipline, or related
subject is essential, as is knowledge of natural language
processing, neural networks or non-verbal visual communication.
This post will offer an ideal opportunity for a person who wishes
to gain experience with international projects and combine it
with a part-time PhD programme, e.g. in natural language
processing, neural networks, or a learning language robot head.

For informal discussions please contact Prof. Stefan Wermter
( stefan.wermter at sunderland.ac.uk )

Interviews for this post will be held on Wednesday 6th December
2006.

Application forms and Role Profiles can be obtained by contacting
Human Resources on 0191 515 2057 or www.sunderland.ac.uk/jobs

Closing Date: **29th November 2006***

***************************************
Professor Stefan Wermter
Chair for Intelligent Systems
School of Computing and Technology
University of Sunderland
St Peters Way
Sunderland SR6 0DD
United Kingdom

phone: +44 191 515 3279
fax: +44 191 515 3553
email: stefan.wermter AT sunderland.ac.uk
http://www.his.sunderland.ac.uk/~cs0stw/
http://www.his.sunderland.ac.uk/

University of Sunderland - life-changing: see our new TV advert at
http://www.lifechangingsunderland.com or http://www.sunderland.ac.uk