Connectionists: Paper: Towards Closed Loop Information

Bernd Porr BerndPorr at f2s.com
Thu Mar 30 16:28:18 EST 2006

I'm pleased to inform you that a paper about closed loop information is
available online:

http://www.univie.ac.at/constructivism/journal/1.2/

in the journal

Constructivist Foundations:

Towards Closed Loop Information: Predictive Information

     Bernd Porr, Alice Egerton and Florentin Wörgötter

Motivation: Classical definitions of information, such as the Shannon
information, are designed for open loop systems because they define
information on a channel which has an input and an output. The main
motivation of this paper is to present a closed loop information measure
which is compatible with constructivist thinking. Design: Our
information measure for a closed loop system reflects how additional
sensor inputs are utilised to establish additional sensor-motor loops
during learning. Our information measure is based on the assumption that
it is not optimal to stay reactive and that it is beneficial to become
proactive through increased learning about the environment. Consequently
our information measure gauges the utilisation of new sensor inputs to
generate anticipatory actions. We call this information measure
"predictive information" (PI). Findings: Our PI is zero if the organism
uses only its reflex reactions. It grows when the organism is able to
use other sensor inputs to preempt reflex reactions and is able to
replace reflexes by anticipatory reactions. This has been demonstrated
with a real robot that had to learn to avoid obstacles. Conclusion: PI
is a new measure which is able to quantify anticipatory learning and, in
contrast to the Shannon information, is calculated only at the inputs of
an agent. This information measure has been successfully applied to a
simple robot task but its application is neither limited to a certain
task nor to a certain learning rule.
learning, reactive vs proactive systems
.
About the journal:

Constructivist Foundations (CF) is an independent academic peer-reviewed
e-journal without commercial interests. Its aim is to promote scientific
foundations and applications of constructivist sciences, to weed out
pseudoscientific claims and to base constructivist sciences on sound
scientific foundations, which do not equal the scientific method with
objectivist claims. The journal is concerned with the interdisciplinary
study of all forms of constructivist sciences, especially radical
constructivism, cybersemiotics, enactive cognitive science, epistemic
structuring of experience, second order cybernetics, the theory of
autopoietic systems, etc.

Apologies for mutiple postings.

Regards
/Bernd Porr