Connectionists: PRL paper on the validity of Poisson firing assumption

Hide Cateau cateau at brain.riken.jp
Mon Feb 6 23:45:55 EST 2006

Hi all,

	Let me announce you that our paper revisiting thePoisson
assumption in neural modeling  just came out:
 Hideyuki Cateau and Alex D. Reyes,
      Relation between Single Neuron and Population Spiking Statistics
and Effects on Network Activity, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96 (2006) 058101.

	Even if each one of neurons fires in a non-Poissonian manner, a
collection of inputs from many mostly uncorrelated neurons should look
like Poissonian.  Our paper disproves this widely assumed view and
demonstrate how non-Poissonian firing nature survives to affect the
population firing patterns.

Cheers,

Hide Cateau

Lab. for Neural Circuit  Theory