Connectionists: Job Opening (RA or Postdoc): Cognitive Neurocomputational Modeling

Mark A. Gluck gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu
Thu Feb 2 10:00:26 EST 2006

Position Offered for  Research Assistant or Postdoctoral Fellowship in

Cognitive Neurocomputational Modeling
of Memory and Memory Disorders

We have a grant-funded opening to hire a full time Research
Assistant/Programmer or Postdoctoral Fellow to work on computer
programming projects developing neurocomputational models of the
basal ganglia, cortex, and the hippocampal region, with the goal of
using these models to capture a broad range of behavioral data on
human learning, memory, and attention. Of particular interest is
applying these models to understand and predict the nature of memory
and cognitive dysfunction in clinical brain disorders including
Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, schizophrenia,
Alzheimer's, and stroke/amnesia. These modeling efforts go
hand-in-hand with our ongoing parallel experimental studies with all
these clinical populations, as well as with related animal studies in
our lab using selective lesions in rats and transgenic mice.

In addition, we are interested in applying the normative models to a
broad range of applied engineering and Artificial Intelligence
applications in control and cognition, to compare them to alternative
computing methods for solving these problems.

We would be open to hiring either a post-BA who would work for two
years before going on to graduate school or a postdoctoral fellow. In
either case, it is essential that the person have (1) very strong
computer programming skills, (2) prior experience with mathematical
and computational models of brain and/or behavior, preferably with
exposure and experience with neural-network models, and (3) strong
English-language writing and speaking skills.

We are located in Northern New Jersey, less than twenty minutes by
train from midtown Manhattan.

If interested, please email me a letter of interest summarizing your
background, training, computer modeling skills and experience,
previous publications and presentations of research, and future
career goals.

Thanks, Mark Gluck

Dr. Mark A. Gluck,  Professor
   Co-Director, Rutgers Memory Disorders Project
Center for Molecular  and Behavioral Neuroscience
Rutgers University                                 Phone:  (973) 353-1080 x3221
197 University Ave.                                    Fax:  (973) 353-1272

Newark, New Jersey  07102                   Email:  gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu

   Lab:  http://www.gluck.edu
   Memory Loss & Brain Newsletter: http://www.memorylossonline.com