Connectionists: coupled cortical maps paper

Peter Thomas pjt9 at case.edu
Thu Apr 20 12:36:30 EDT 2006

Dear Colleagues:

I am pleased to draw your attention to the following article,
available at

http://imammb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/rapidpdf/dql006?
ijkey=TjqJPARL6JsfmFT&keytype=ref

> Simultaneous constraints on pre- and post-synaptic cells couple
> cortical
> feature maps in a 2D geometric model of orientation preference
>
> Peter J. Thomas (Oberlin College & Case Western Reserve University)
> Jack D. Cowan (The University of Chicago)
>
> The most prominent feature of mammalian striate cortex (V1) is the
> spatial organization of response preferences for the position and
> orientation of elementary visual stimuli. Models for the formation
> of cortical maps of orientation and retinotopic position typically
> rely on a combination of Hebbian or correlation-based synaptic
> plasticity, and constraints on the distribution of synaptic
> weights. We consider a simplified model of orientation and
> retinotopic specificity based on the geometry of the feedforward
> synaptic weight distribution from an unoriented layer of cells to a
> first weakly oriented layer. We model the feed-forward weight
> distribution as a system of planar Gaussian receptive fields each
> elongated in the direction matching the preferred orientation of
> the postsynaptic cell. Under the constraint of presynaptic weight
> normalization (each cell in the oriented layer receives the same
> net synaptic weight) and a uniform retinotopic map (displacement of
> centres of mass of receptive fields in the unoriented layer is
> strictly proportional to the displacement of the corresponding
> cells in the oriented layer), we find that imposing a pattern of
> orientation preference forces the system to violate postsynaptic
> weight normalization (each cell in the unoriented layer no longer
> sends forth the same net synaptic weight). We study this deviation
> from uniformity of the postsynaptic weight, and find that the
> deviation has a distinct form in the vicinity of the pinwheel
> singularities of the orientation map. We show that uniform synaptic
> coverage of the unoriented layer can be restored by introducing a
> distortion in the retinotopic locations of the receptive fields. We
> calculate, to first order in the relative elongation of the
> receptive fields, the retinotopic distortion vector field. Both the
> pattern of postsynaptic weight non-uniformity and the corrective
> retinotopic distortion vector field fail to possess the reflection
> symmetry commonly assumed to relate orientation singularities with
> topological index +-pi. Hence, we show that right-handed and left-
> handed orientation singularities are fundamentally distinct
> anatomical structures when full 2D synaptic architecture is taken
> into account. Finally, we predict specific patterns of retinotopic
> distortion that should obtain in the vicinity of +-pi-fold
> orientation singularities, if uniform pre- and post-synaptic weight
> constraints are strongly enforced.

> neural network; cortical map.

Best wishes,

Peter J. Thomas

[as of July 1, 2006:]
Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Biology & Cognitive Science
Case Western Reserve University
Department of Mathematics
Yost Hall, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106-7058
pjt9 -- at -- case.edu      //          216-368-8998