Connectionists: Two new papers on learning theory.

Simone G.O. FIORI sfr at unipg.it
Wed Oct 19 07:54:34 EDT 2005

Dear colleagues,

I take the liberty to announce the availability of two new
papers on learning theory. They are related to unsupervised
adapting of inherently-stable IIR filters implemented in
state-space form, with application to blind system
deconvolution, and to variate generation by look-up-table
type adaptive-activation-function-neuron learning.

1] "Blind Adaptation of Stable Discrete-Time IIR Filters in
State-Space Form", by S. Fiori, University of Perugia, Italy.
Accepted on the IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing

*Abstract: Blind deconvolution consists of extracting a source
sequence and impulse response of a linear system from their
convolution. In presence of system zeros close to the unit
circle, which give rise to very long impulse responses, IIR
adaptive structures are of use, whose adaptation should be
carefully designed in order to guarantee stability. In this
paper, we propose a blind-type discrete-time IIR adaptive
filter structure realized in state-space form that, with a
suitable parameterization of its coefficients, remains stable.
The theory is first developed for a two-pole filter, whose
numerical behavior is investigated via computer-based
experiments. The proposed structure/adaptation theory is then
extended to a multi-pole structure realized as a cascade of
two-pole filters. Computer-based experiments are proposed and
discussed, which aim at illustrating the behavior of the filter
cascade on several cases of study. The numerical results
obtained show the proposed filters remain stable during
adaptation and provide satisfactory deconvolution results.

Draft available at:
http://www.unipg.it/sfr/publications/tsp05.pdf

2] "Neural Systems with Numerically-Matched Input-Output
Statistic: Variate Generation", by S. Fiori, University of
Perugia, Italy. Accepted on Neural Processing Letters

*Abstract: The aim of this paper is to present a neural system
trained to exhibit matched input-output statistic for random
samples generation. The learning procedure is based on a
cardinal equation from statistics that suggests how to warp
an available samples set of known probability density function
into a samples set with desired probability distribution. The
warping structure is realized by a fully-tunable neural system
implemented as a "look-up table". Learnability theorems are
proven and discussed and the numerical features of the
proposed methods are illustrated through computer-based
experiments.

Draft available at:
http://www.unipg.it/sfr/publications/rng_nepl.pdf

Bets regards.

|         Simone FIORI (Elec.Eng., Ph.D.)         |
| * Faculty of Engineering - Perugia University * |
|  * Polo Didattico e Scientifico del Ternano *   |
| Loc. Pentima bassa, 21 - I-05100 TERNI (Italy)  |
|   eMail: fiori at unipg.it - Fax: +39 0744 492925  |
|        Web: http://www.unipg.it/sfr/            |