Connectionists: Postdoctoral position available - Theoretical Neuroscience Group in Paris.

Sophie Deneve deneve at isc.cnrs.fr
Fri Oct 7 12:11:58 EDT 2005

Two postdoctoral research positions are available in the newly created
Theoretical Neuroscience Group in Ecole Normale Supérieure Paris, for a
project funded by a Marie Curie Team of Excellence grant.

The overall theme of the project is "Bayesian inference and neural
dynamics", and the research will involve building and analyzing
probabilistic treatments of representation, inference and learning in
biophysical models of cortical neuron and circuits. To do so we will
integrate complementary computational neuroscience approaches. The first
studies neurons and neural networks as biophysical entities. The second
reinterpret cognitive and neural processes as bayesian computations.

The faculty of this group includes Misha Tsodyks, Boris Gutkin, Sophie
Deneve and Rava Da Silvera. It is part of the Department of Cognitive
Science in Ecole Normale Supérieure, a unique institution regrouping major
scientists in computational Neuroscience, Brain imaging, Psychology,
Philosophy, and Mathematics. We are situated in central Paris, at a walking
distance to top scientific research and educational institutions. We have
numerous international collaborations with experimental groups, with the
goal of understanding the neural basis of cognition.

The positions are for two years duration, with attractive salaries,
including mobility allowance if applicable.  Generous travel support will
be provided. Candidates should have
1- A strong mathematical/biophysical background and a strong interest in
neuroscience, or
2- A strong neuroscience background and good basis in math and/or biophysics.
3- Demonstrable interest in experimental collaborations.
4- Good communication skills.

Candidates should send a CV, a 1 page research project and the address of
two referees, to npg.lab at college-de-france.fr , before the 1st of November,
2005. For further information please contact Sophie Deneve
(deneve at isc.cnrs.fr) or Boris Gutkin (bgutkin at pasteur.fr).