Connectionists: Experimental application of categorical semantic theory for neural networks

mjhealy@ece.unm.edu mjhealy at ece.unm.edu
Mon Oct 3 21:19:43 EDT 2005

Tom Caudell and I have a paper in the Proceedings of the International
Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN05), Montreal, 2005, published
by the IEEE Press.  The subject is an experiment demonstrating improved
performance with a modification to a standard artificial neural
architecture based on our category-theoretic semantic model.  This was
joint research with Sandia National Laboratories on the generation of
multispectral images from satellite data.  We believe this is the first
application of category theory directly in an engineering application
(while at Boeing, another colleague and I had demonstrated its application
to the synthesis of engineering software).  Another feature of it is that
it relates an abstract, categorical structure to a neural network
parameter; this is not dealt with in detail in the Proceedings paper but
will be in a full paper to be submitted.

Tom Caudell's web page has a link to the Proceedings paper at

                http://www.eece.unm.edu/faculty/tpc/

The semantic theory is described in our Technical Report EECE-TR-04-020 on
the UNM Dspace Repository, at

                https://repository.unm.edu/handle/1928/33

Regards,
Mike Healy