Connectionists: Preprint: Bayesian inference and attention in the visual cortex

Rajesh Rao rao at cs.washington.edu
Tue Nov 22 14:45:18 EST 2005

The following paper is available for download:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/rao/nreport_bayes_atten05.pdf

Bayesian Inference and Attentional Modulation in the Visual Cortex
Neuroreport 16(16), 1843-1848, 2005

The responses of neurons in cortical areas V2 and V4 can be
significantly modulated by attention to particular locations within an
input image. We show that such effects emerge naturally when perception
is viewed as a probabilistic inference process governed by Bayesian
principles and implemented in hierarchical cortical networks. We show
that the proposed model can explain a rich variety of attention-related
tuning curves, restoration of neural responses in the presence of
distracting stimuli, and influence of attention on neighboring
unattended locations. Our results suggest a new interpretation of
attention as a cortical mechanism for reducing perceptual uncertainty by
combining top-down task-relevant information with bottom-up sensory
inputs in a probabilistic manner.

--
Rajesh P. N. Rao
Univ of Washington