Connectionists: [Call for Participation] Learning for Locomotion Workshop

Jan Peters mail at jan-peters.net
Sat May 21 15:53:27 EDT 2005

                                          Call for Participation
                    Robotics 2005 - Workshop: Learning for Locomotion
                              Cambridge, MA, USA --- June 11, 2005

Quick Facts
Organizers:	Jan Peters, Russ Tedrake, Stefan Schaal
Conference:	Robotics - Science and Systems 2005
Date:	 June 11, 2005
Room:	 To be announced
Location:	 MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA
Website:	http://www-clmc.usc.edu/~jrpeters/workshop.html
Alternate Website:
http://www.jan-peters.net/Research/LearningForLocomotion

Abstract
Over the last few decades, there has been an impressive amount of
published work on legged locomotion, including bipedal walking,
running, hopping, stand-ups, summersaults and much more. However,
despite all this progress, legged locomotion research has largely been
driven by researchers using human insight and creativity in order to
generate locomotion control algorithms. In order to improve the
robustness, energy efficiency, and natural appearance of legged
locomotion, there may be a significant advantage to using machine
learning methods to synthesize new controllers and to avoid tedious
parameter tuning. For instance, it could be advantageous to learn
dynamics models, kinematic models, impact models, for model-based
control techniques. Imitation learning could be employed for the
teaching of gaits patterns, and reinforcement learning could help
tuning parameters of the control policies in order to improve the
performance with respect to given cost functions. In this context, we
would like to bring together researchers from both the legged
locomotion and machine learning in order to discuss which locomotion
problems require learning, and to identify the machine learning methods
that can be used to solve them.

Goal
In order to better understand the application of machine learning
techniques to locomotion, our goal is to bring together researchers who
represent many different approaches to biped locomotion control with
their peers in machine learning for control. We hope to discuss future
research directions for principled machine learning approaches to biped
locomotion. The workshop will address topics such as:
* Which unsolved biped locomotion problems can be solved using learning?
* Can walking be broken down into components upon which machine
learning methods are applicable?
* What models (e.g., forward, inverse, impact) would be desirable for
controlling locomotion?
* Can machine learning methods help solve the gait generation and
foot-placement problems?
* Can human learning of locomotion yield insights for both robotics and
machine learning?
* Which machine learning algorithms are suitable for online
implementation on the robot, and which problems can be solved in
simulation?
* What cost functions should be used to describe "optimal" walking, and
what experiments should be done to test our controllers?
Furthermore, we intend to kick-off the Legged Robot Control Competition.

Program
The tentative program and list of speakers can be found at the
Workshops Website ( http://www-clmc.usc.edu/~jrpeters/workshop.html )
or the alternative website (
http://www.jan-peters.net/Research/LearningForLocomotion ).

Organizers
The workshop is organized by Jan Peters, Russ Tedrake and Stefan
Schaal, from the Departments of Computer Science and Neuroscience,
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA and from the
Brain and Cognitive Sciences Department at the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA.

Location and More Information
The most up-to-date information about Robotics - Science and Systems
2005 can be found on the Robotics 2005 website (
http://www.robotics-conference.org ).