Connectionists: Okinawa Computational Neuroscience Course 2006: Call for Applications

Kenji Doya doya at irp.oist.jp
Fri Dec 23 05:32:58 EST 2005

		Call for Applications
	OKINAWA COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE COURSE 2006
		"Computing Neurons"
	June 26 - July 7, 2006. Okinawa, Japan.
		http://www.irp.oist.jp/ocnc/2006
	Application Deadline: APRIL 10TH, 2006

The aim of Okinawa Computational Neuroscience Course is to provide
opportunities for young researchers with theoretical backgrounds to
learn
latest advances in neuroscience, and those with experiment backgrounds
to have hands-on experience in computational modeling.

We invite graduate students and postgraduate researchers to participate
in the course, held from June 26th through July 7th at an oceanfront
seminar house of Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology.
Those interested in attending the course should send the materials below
by e-mail or the course web page by APRIL 10th, 2006.

We hope that this course will be a good opportunity for theoretical and
experimental neuroscientists to meet together and to explore the
attractive
nature and culture of Okinawa, the southernmost island prefecture of
Japan.

******* Course Outline *******

	Okinawa Computational Neuroscience Course (OCNC2006)
Theme:	Computing Neurons
		- What neurons compute; How we know by computing -

Our brain is a network of billions of neurons, but even a single
neuron is a fantastically complex computing device. Technology has
made it possible to look into the detailed structure of dendritic
branches, variety of ionic channels and receptors, molecular
reactions at the synapses, and the network of genes that regulate
all these. The challenge is to understand the meaning and function
of these components of the neural machine. To do this we need to
put together data from many experiments at different levels into a
computational model, and to analyze the kinds of computation that
single neurons and their networks can perform. This course invites
graduate students and postgraduate researchers who are interested
in studies integrating experimental and computational approaches
for understanding cellular mechanisms of neurons.

Lectures:
	Upi Bhalla (NCBS)
	Sydney Brenner (OIST)
	Yang Dan (UC Berkeley)
	Erik DeSchutter (U Antwerp)
	Kenji Doya (OIST)
	Bard Ermentrout (U Pittsburgh)
	Geoff Goodhill (U Queensland)
	Shin Ishii (NAIST)
	Shinya Kuroda (U Tokyo)
	Nicolas Le Novere (European Bioinformatics Institute)
	Roberto Malinow (Cold Spring Harbor Lab)
	Henry Markram (EPFL)
	Terry Sejnowski (Salk Institute)
	Susumu Tonegawa (MIT)
	(more to be announced)

Student Projects
	a) Introduction to neural/cellular simulator platforms
	b) Model construction from experimental data
	c) Analysis of neuron models

Students will present posters on their current works early in the
course and the results of their projects at the end of the course.