Volunteer wanted to analyze psychiatric neuroimaging lab data. Po tential for NIH R21 grant collaboration!

Angela.Jakary@med.va.gov Angela.Jakary at med.va.gov
Sat May 15 18:48:26 EDT 2004

Research Opportunity:  Neural Networks Analysis of Neuroimaging Data

Our psychiatric neuroimaging laboratory located in the San Francisco VA
Medical Center is looking for an individual to apply neural network pattern
recognition methods to our neuroimaging data (we have NeuralWare software
but are open to suggestions). The ultimate goal is to discover new
relationships between neuroimaging abnormalities--based on magnetic
resonance imaging (MRI) tissue volume and proton magnetic resonance
spectroscopic imaging (MRSI) metabolite measurements--and
demographic/clinical data for individuals suffering from bipolar disorder,
depression, or schizophrenia. It is hypothesized that the resultant
relationships could suggest new, more accurate classification systems for
these disorders.

Knowledge of quantitative MRI and MRSI techniques is ideal, however
training is available. This is an outstanding research opportunity for
the right individual, and could evolve into grant-funded research.
Specifically, the NIMH is interested in seeing new methods of data
analysis applied to neuroimaging data, and we would therefore like to
develop a competitive R21 grant proposal (no pilot data required)
involving neural networks analysis of our data.

If you're interested, please send an e-mail to
angela.jakary at med.va.gov.

Thanks.