Openings at the MPI for Biological Cybernetics: Group Leader, PhD Student

Bernhard Schoelkopf bernhard.schoelkopf at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Jul 7 11:20:21 EDT 2004

Dear Connectionists,

My department "Empirical Inference for Machine Learning and
Perception" (see http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/bs) is looking for a
group leader for learning theory (successor of O. Bousquet). It is an
"Assistent" position, which roughly translates into a non-tenured
assistant professor position with no teaching obligations. Funding for
travel, equipment, students etc. is generous.

Applicants should be academically excellent and have a very good publication
record in statistical learning theory and kernel methods (in particular, at
NIPS/COLT). We will also consider applicants who only finish their PhD
this year, provided that they show outstanding promise. The starting date is
flexible.

In addition, we are looking for a PhD-student to join our computer vision
and robotics lab (see http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/bs). The position
is funded by the EU and is open only to non-German EU citizens. We require
an outstanding academic record including a strong mathematical or analytical
background. In particular we seek people interested in the application of
kernel methods to problems in robotics and/or computer vision.

Max Planck Institutes are publicly funded research labs with an emphasis on
excellence in basic research. Tuebingen is a small international university
town in southern Germany, see http://www.tuebingen.de/1560.html.

Inquiries and applications, including a complete CV, a statement of research
interests and accomplishments should be sent to
sabrina.nielebock at tuebingen.mpg.de. In addition, two letters of reference
should be emailed to Sabrina directly by the referees.

best regards
Bernhard Schoelkopf