ICML Workshop on Predictive Representations of World Knowledge

Rich Sutton sutton at cs.ualberta.ca
Sun Feb 15 14:55:37 EST 2004

                              Announcing
                         an ICML workshop on

              PREDICTIVE REPRESENTATIONS OF WORLD KNOWLEDGE

        Call for participation/submissions (http://prwk.rlai.net)

It has long been postulated that knowledge of the world ultimately
comes down to predictions about what we will sense as a function of
what we do. For example, in this view we know what is inside a box if
we can predict what we would see if we were to open it. We know the
three-dimensional shape of an object if we can predict its new
appearance for each of various way in which we might rotate it. We
might even be said to know that "Tweety is a bird" if we can make
appropriate predictions about what we might see and hear (e.g., about
feathers, flying, and chirps) if we were to meet Tweety. Such
predictive representations of world knowledge have important potential
advantages. If predictions are defined in terms of primitive sensations
and actions (i.e., are grounded), then they can be directly compared
with what actually does happen, enabling the knowledge to be verified
or perhaps even learned without human intervention. If the predictions
are deterministic, or Markov in an appropriate sense, then the
knowledge can be immediately used in a variety of state-space planning
methods.

For these and other reasons, understanding world knowledge in
predictive, sensori-motor terms has been a long-standing goal of
philosophy, psychology, and artificial intelligence. So far it has
remained a distant goal, but recent progress in machine learning seems
to bring nearer the possibility of addressing it productively with
mathematics and computational studies. In particular, we are thinking
of research on:

    Predictive representations of state (PSRs)
    Observable operator models (OOMs)
    Temporal abstraction in reinforcement learning (options, HAMs, MAXQ)
    Diversity-based induction of finite-state automata
    Deitic, or indexical, representations
    Signals to symbols, symbol grounding

The goal of this workshop is to bring together scientists interested in
these and other topics to present, discuss, and make further progress
toward understanding how knowledge of the world can be represented in
predictive, sensori-motor terms.

Program Committee: Rich Sutton (University of Alberta), Satinder Singh
(University of Michigan), Herbert Jaeger (International University
Bremen, Germany), Michael Littman (Rutgers University), Peter Stone
(University of Texas at Austin), Tim Oates (University of Maryland
Baltimore County), Martin Butz (University of Illinois, not confirmed)

For details on submissions, due March 26, see http://prwk.rlai.net