Ph.D. dissertation: Hierarchical learning of conjunctive concepts in spiking neural nets

Cengiz Gunay cgunay at emory.edu
Sun Aug 29 23:32:24 EDT 2004

Dear connectionists,

My Ph.D. dissertation titled "Hierarchical learning of conjunctive
concepts in spiking neural networks", together with related publications,
is available from the web page:

http://www.cacs.louisiana.edu/~cxg9789/Neuroidal

Below you can find the abstract for the dissertation.

Abstract
--------

The temporal correlation hypothesis proposes that synchronous activity in
different regions of the brain describes integral entities (von der
Malsburg, 1981; Singer and Gray, 1995). This temporal binding approach is
a possible solution to the longstanding binding problem of representing
composite objects (Rosenblatt, 1961). To complement the dynamic nature of
temporal binding, a recruitment learning method has been proposed for
providing long-term storage (Feldman, 1982; Valiant, 1994). We improve the
recruitment method to use a more biologically realistic and
computationally powerful spiking neuron model.

However, using continuous-time spiking neurons and brain-like connectivity
assumptions poses new problems in hierarchical recruitment. First, we
propose timing parameter constraints for recruitment over asymmetrically
connected delay lines. We verify these constraints using simulations.
These constraints are useful for both building abstract networks and
providing insight into bio-mechanisms that ensure signal integrity in the
brain. As a second problem, we calculate the required feedforward
excitatory and lateral inhibitory connection densities for stable
propagation of activity in hierarchical structures of the network. We give
analytic solutions using a stochastic population model of a simplified
layered network. Our approach is independent of the network size, but
depends on lateral inhibition and noisy feedforward delays.

---

Thanks,
Cengiz Gunay
Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Biology
Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA.
cgunay at emory.edu  cengique at users.sf.net 	cengique at yahoo.com
Lab: +1-404-727-4103	Home/Cell: +1-337-255-3660
http://www.cacs.louisiana.edu/~cxg9789
ICQ# 21104923, cengique at jabber.org