Science & Consciousness Review - latest news and reviews

Thomas Zoëga Ramsøy ramsoy at tiscali.dk
Sun Sep 8 18:33:52 EDT 2002

Dear member of this list,

Science & Consciousness Review (http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/) has released
new articles and reviews:
_____________________

EDITORIAL

IDA on Will: Its no Illusion
- by Stan Franklin

"The issue of free will is perhaps the most oft debated single issue in the
history of philosophy. Whether philosophers or scientists, most modern
materialists, believe the universe, at scales beyond the quantum, is
deterministic. This leads them to class free will with magic. Its only an
illusion."

Counter to this notion, Professor Franklin here argues that free will is
indeed more than an illusion. Drawing upon evidence from both artificial
intelligence and neurophysiology, Franklin makes a valid case against what
he sees as a "magical free will" notion.

Read the full article at:
http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/ED_Sep02_IDAFreeWill.htm
_____________________

NEWS IN BRIEF

- FREE: Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences
- The neurophysics of consciousness
- The cognitive neuroscience of sleep
- Olfactory coding: precise timing
- The unconscious you may be the wiser half
- Mike or me? Self-recognition in the split-brain
- All about Me: Left brain may shine spotlight on self
- Attention and emotion - different brain systems
- New reviews of consciousness books

Full access at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/more_news.html
_____________________

ARCHIVES

Previous issues of Science & Consciousness Review can be found at
http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/archive.html We have now issues from April to
August 2002, including all articles, reviews and news in brief.
_____________________

ABOUT SCIENCE & CONSCIOUSNESS REVIEW

SCR is a community-building effort. Many scientific communities study how
the human brain makes possible perception, memory, and even attention. But
for historical reasons, we have no scientific community for exploring
consciousness ---  including our own experiences of the world, of each other
and of ourselves. It is probably the most important neglected topic in
science.

Students and scientists all over the world are vitally interested. Hardly a
week goes by without another major article in headline journals like Science
and Nature. The flow of evidence has increased enormously. But so far we
have few institutional resources for teaching, learning, and sharing this
information.

In the last decade we have seen new, high quality journals, professional
societies, and regular meetings. They are vitally important.

But many people feel that we need an international forum to build a sense of
shared community. SCR is an effort in that direction.

CONTRIBUTE!

Please send your contributions to us. Instructions for authors can be found
at http://psych.pomona.edu/scr/author_instructions.html

Sincerely,

Thomas Zoga Ramsy
Managing Editor