Postdoc in Bayesian modeling, MCMC, bioinformatics

Radford Neal radford at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Jan 19 17:45:48 EST 2002

                      Postdoctoral position in

    BAYESIAN MODELING, MARKOV CHAIN MONTE CARLO, BIOINFORMATICS

                Radford Neal, University of Toronto

I am looking for a postdoc who is interested in the following areas:

   o Bayesian statistical modeling, especially flexible models
     such as those based on Dirichet process mixtures, neural
     networks, and Gaussian processes.

   o Markov chain Monte Carlo methods, either general in scope, or
     tailored to specific Bayesian models.

   o Applications of flexible models in bioinformatics, especially
     analysis of spectroscopic data, analysis of gene expression
     data from DNA microarrays, and inference for phylogenetic trees.

Candidates should have a PhD in a relevant discipline (or be about to
receive one), and have an excellent background in at least one of the
above areas, plus a willingness and ability to learn about the others.

This position is for one year, with possibility of extension to two
years, starting no later than August 2002 (preferably sooner).  There
will be opportunities to apply for sessional teaching in Statistics or
Computer Science if desired.

The University of Toronto has a large and diverse group of faculty,
graduate students, and postdocs in Statistics and in Machine Learning.
To learn more about what is going on here, visit the Statistics site
at http://utstat.utoronto.ca and the web site for the Machine Learning
group (in Computer Science) at http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/learning/.
For more about my personal research interests, see my web pages at
http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~radford/.

Applicants should EMAIL a CV, the email addresses of two references,
and a description of their research background and interests to me at
radford at cs.utoronto.ca.  Plain text is preferred, but Postscript, PDF,
and (if you really have to) MS Word documents will also be read.  All
applications that are received by February 15 will be considered.
Those received after that will be considered if the position has not
already been filled.

Radford M. Neal                                       radford at cs.utoronto.ca
Dept. of Statistics and Dept. of Computer Science radford at utstat.utoronto.ca
University of Toronto                     http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~radford