Correction: Postdoc position at AIST, Japan

Luc Berthouze Luc.Berthouze at aist.go.jp
Mon Jan 7 20:50:48 EST 2002

Dear Connectionists,

This is an addendum to my previous post for a postdoc position in AIST,
Japan. I have received a large number of applications with background in
signal processing and speech processing in particular, probably due to my
lack of explanation of what speech-reading is. Speech-reading, also often
referred to as lipreading, is the ability to perceive speech by: (1)
watching the movements of a speaker's mouth, (2) by observing all other
visible clues including facial expressions and gestures, and (3) using the
context of the message and the situation.

More than the skill itself, our project aims at understanding and modelling
the learning process through which such skill is acquired. In particular,
we are interested in evaluating the importance of motoric activity in the
process. The candidates should therefore have background and research
interests in the area of sensorimotor coordination and categorization, both
at the neural and behavioral level.

Thank you,
Luc Berthouze

The original post was:
We are seeking a postdoctoral fellow with research interests in
computational neuroscience and cognitive science to participate to a
project on human learning of speech-reading. Candidates should have
expertise in computational modeling, in human or animal research on
learning and experience in applying neural models to artificial systems
(robots or simulations).
Competitive funding for a two-years period is available. Candidates should
contact Luc Berthouze for more details.

-----
Dr. Luc Berthouze
Cognitive Neuroinformatics Group