NIPS & double blind reviewing

Naftali Tishby tishby at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Dec 18 01:57:40 EST 2002

I completely agree with Grace.

In the NIPS community in particular we have several leading
research groups, that are familiar to everyone, for which authors
identity can be very easily revealed. On the other hand, no one can
argue that NIPS is not open to new ideas and new authors - this
has been and still is the most fresh and open minded scientific community
I know.

In fact I am much more concerned with the fact that the NIPS program
committee is getting younger and inexperienced every year. I am aware of
several cases where the committee - which knows the identities of both
authors and reviewers - has overridden the reviewers.
This NIPS tradition is certainly OK, but it requires much more experienced
program committee members.

Tali Tishby