paper on BNT now available

Kevin Murphy murphyk at cs.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 26 22:29:18 EDT 2001

I am pleased to announce the following paper

"The Bayes Net Toolbox for Matlab", by Kevin Murphy.
Published in: Computing Science and Statistics: Proceedings of
Interface,  volume 33, 2001

Available at
  http://HTTP.CS.Berkeley.EDU/~murphyk/Papers/bnt.ps.gz
  http://HTTP.CS.Berkeley.EDU/~murphyk/Papers/bnt.pdf

Abstract:

The Bayes Net Toolbox (BNT) is an open-source Matlab package for
directed graphical models. BNT supports many kinds of nodes
(probability distributions), exact and approximate inference,
parameter and structure learning, and static and dynamic models.  BNT
is widely used in teaching and research: the web page has received
over 28,000 hits since May 2000.  In this paper, we discuss a broad
spectrum of issues related to graphical models (directed and
undirected), and describe, at a high-level, how BNT was designed to
cope with them.  We also compare BNT to other software packages
for graphical models, and to the nascent OpenBayes effort.