ePrints and eScholarship

Catherine Candee catherine.candee at ucop.edu
Thu Jan 18 08:06:41 EST 2001

Stevan,

Though we haven't met, I wanted to write you personally to thank you for
making ePrints available. Your software is a major contribution to our
mutual effort to transform the scholarly communication cycle. I am the CDL
director responsible for the eScholarship program, where we are making good
use of ePrints. Our repositories provide the foundation of the eScholarship
infrastructure.

We are providing the first three repositories to scholars in International
and Area Studies, Dermatology, and Tobacco Control Research beginning
tomorrow, Jan 19, 2001. We expect we will have some interesting findings
as they begin to actively test and use these prototype repositories. We
have some models for how the repositories will logically fit together with
the kind of wider sphere of surrounding scholarly products we envision
(e.g., DOJ as overlay journal), but there are many particular issues still
to be resolved which may have implications for how the software is
developed.  We will try to report as much as we can what we learn in our
experiment with ePrints.

So, on behalf of the eScholarship team and the open archive community, I
thank you for this wonderful piece of code. You will be receiving a more
formal letter tomorrow, addressed to all eScholarship partners and
contributors, which will detail more of the CDL and eScholarship
activities. ePrints will be prominently featured in the letter.

Best regards,
Catherine Candee
Director, Scholarly Communication Initiatives
California Digital Library
University of California
300 Lakeside Drive 6th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612-3550

510.987.0425
510.893.5212 (Fax)
Catherine.Candee at ucop.edu

______________________________________

             SOME RELEVANT CHRONOLOGY AND URLs

    Psycoloquy (Refereed On-Line-Only Journal) (1989)
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/psycoloquy

    "Scholarly Skywriting"  (1990)
    http://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad90.skywriting.html

    Physics Archive (1991)
    http://arxiv.org

    "PostGutenberg Galaxy" (1991)
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad91.postgutenberg.html

    "Interactive Publication" (1992)
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad92.interactivpub.html

    Self-Archiving ("Subversive") Proposal (1994)
    http://www.arl.org/scomm/subversive/toc.html

    "Tragic Loss" (Odlyzko) (1995)
    http://www.research.att.com/~amo/doc/tragic.loss.txt

    "Last Writes" (Hibbitts) (1996)
    http://www.law.pitt.edu/hibbitts/lastrev.htm

    NCSTRL: Networked Computer Science Technical Reference Library (1996)
    http://cs-tr.cs.cornell.edu

    University Provosts' Initiative (1997)
    http://library.caltech.edu/publications/ScholarsForum/

    CogPrints: Cognitive Sciences Archive (1998)
    http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk

    Journal of High Energy Physics (Refereed On-Line-Only Journal) (1998)
    http://jhep.cern.ch/

    Science Policy Forum (1998)
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/281/5382/1459

    American Scientist Forum (1998)
    http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/september98-forum.html

    OpCit:Open Citation Linking Project (1999)
    http://opcit.eprints.org

    E-biomed: Varmus (NIH) Proposal (1999)
    http://www.nih.gov/about/director/pubmedcentral/pubmedcentral.htm

    Open Archives Initiative (1999)
    http://www.openarchives.org

    Cross-Archive Searching Service (2000)
    http://arc.cs.odu.edu

    Eprints: Free OAI 1.0-compliant Eprint-Archive-creating software (2001)
    http://www.eprints.org

    Harnad Home Pages
    http://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/harnad/
    http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/

NOTE: A complete archive of the ongoing discussion of providing free
access to the refereed journal literature online is available at the
American Scientist September Forum (98 & 99 & 00 & 01):

    http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/september98-forum.html

You may join the list at the site above.

Discussion can be posted to:

    september98-forum at amsci-forum.amsci.org