new institute at ETH Zurich - Ph.D. and postdoc positions

Nici Schraudolph nic at idsia.ch
Sun Jan 14 13:32:32 EST 2001

Dear colleagues,

we are building up a machine learning research group at the new Institute
of Computational Sciences (ICOS) at ETH Zurich, and thus have several
openings for Ph.D. students and postdoctoral researchers.

ICOS (www.icos.ethz.ch) is a new multidisciplinary institute within ETH's
Department of Computer Science.  Our goal is to bring the latest advances
in computer science to bear on challenging problems in all areas of science
and technology, with a special focus on the emerging interfaces of fields
such as life sciences, nanotechnology, and computation.  We have initiated
several collaborative projects in the above areas, within ETH as well as
nationally and internationally, and are seeking creative individuals who
wish to expand on this basis in a stimulating research environment.

One initial focus of the machine learning group at ICOS will be the
development of advanced algorithms for stochastic gradient descent.
In addition to candidates that want to pursue this line of research,
however, we strongly welcome applications from researchers with com-
plementary orientations (e.g., kernel methods or Bayesian inference).
What we are looking for is a) the ability to work with, and improve
upon, the latest learning algorithms in your specialty; b) an interest
in applying your work to large scale, challenging real-world problems;
and c) the wish to explore the opportunities inherent in the highly
interdisciplinary environment of the ETH Zurich.

The ETH (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) Zurich is considered one
of the world's foremost technical universities, and offers a first-class
academic environment.  Zurich is the commercial center of Switzerland,
fast becoming one of the hubs of information technology in the heart of
Europe.  It combines a high standard of living with a beautiful lakeside
setting, with ample leisure opportunities (the Alps, for one) within easy
reach.

ETH offers highly competitive salaries with initial appointments for up
to two years for post-doctoral positions and up to four years for Ph.D.
positions.  Renewal of these positions is possible for successful programs.

To apply, please provide the following information:

- a cover letter describing your research interest,
- your c.v. including a list of publications,
- one or two sample publications, and
- e-mails and telephone numbers of three colleagues
  familiar with you and your work.

Applications should be sent to the address:

        Daniela Wiesli
        Institute of Computational Science
        Weinbergstrasse 43
        ETH Zentrum
        Zurich, CH-8092
        Switzerland

We welcome applications by email (in Word, PDF, or Postscript format)
to wiesli at inf.ethz.ch, with the phrase "ML application" in the subject.

Best regards,

--
    Dr. Nicol N. Schraudolph         mobile:  +41-76-585-3877
    IDSIA, Galleria 2                  home:     -91-970-3877