Connectionist Inference Preprint

Tony Browne abrowne at lgu.ac.uk
Thu Aug 23 07:50:50 EDT 2001

Apologies if you receive this posting more than once.

A preprint is available for download, of the paper
'Connectionist Inference Models' by Antony Browne and Ron
Sun (to appear in `Neural Networks'). 62 Pages, 155
References.

Abstract: The performance of symbolic inference tasks has
long been a challenge to connectionists. In this paper, we
present an extended survey of this area. Existing
connectionist inference systems are reviewed, with
particular reference to how they perform variable binding
and rule-based reasoning, and whether they involve
distributed or localist representations. The benefits and
disadvantages of different representations and systems are
outlined, and conclusions drawn regarding the capabilities
of connectionist inference systems when compared with
symbolic inference systems or when used for cognitive
modeling.

localist representations, distributed representations.

Download Instructions: Go to
http://www.lgu.ac.uk/~abrowne/abrowne.htm and scroll down
to the section 'Downloadable Technical Reports and
Preprints'. Click on the file to download (in zipped
Postscript [190K] or Zipped PDF [228K] format).

Comments Welcome

If you have problems downloading, please e-mail me.

Tony Browne

Dr. Antony Browne abrowne at lgu.ac.uk
http://www.lgu.ac.uk/~abrowne/abrowne.htm
Reader in Intelligent Systems
School of Computing, Information Systems & Mathematics
London Guildhall University
100 Minories
London EC3 1JY, UK
Tel: (+44) 0207 320 1307