Postdoctoral Postion

Ken McRae kenm at uwo.ca
Sun Aug 19 16:02:44 EDT 2001

Postdoctoral Fellowship in Psycholinguistics & Computational Modeling

I have funding for a two-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in my Cognitive
Science laboratory at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario,
Canada. The stipend is $35,000 per year plus $2,500 per year for conference
travel. There are no citizenship restrictions.

Our research focuses on the interrelated issues of noun meaning, verb
meaning, and sentence processing. Our research integrates theories and
methodologies from a number of areas, including: word recognition, semantic
memory, concepts and categorization, sentence processing, connectionist
modeling, and cognitive neuropsychology. Central to our research program is
connectionist modeling of the computation of noun and verb meaning, as well
as competition-integration modeling of on-line sentence reading time. Thus,
a postdoctoral fellow in my lab will have the opportunity to participate in
projects in a number of areas of Cognitive Science.

Our department has a number of Cognition faculty, all of whom conduct
research related to language processing. Thus, our faculty and graduate
students provide a rich research environment. I am also involved in a number
of collaborations with researchers from other universities. My lab is
well-equipped for both human experimentation and computational modeling. UWO
also has a 4T magnet that is used for research only.

London is a pleasant city of approximately 350,000, and is located 2 hours
drive from either Toronto or Detroit. Note that a reasonable one-bedroom
apartment in London costs approximately $500 per month.

For further information about our lab, and Cognition at UWO, see:
http://www.sscl.uwo.ca/psychology/cognitive/faculty.html

If you are interested in this position, please send a cv, a statement of
research interests, and 3 letters of reference to me at the address below.
Sending all information electronically is preferable. The start-date for
this position is flexible. If you would like more information about this
position, please contact me directly.

Ken McRae
Associate Professor
Department of Psychology & Neuroscience Program
Social Science Centre
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario  CANADA  N6A 5C2

email:  mcrae at uwo.ca
http://www.sscl.uwo.ca/psychology/cognitive/mcrae/mcrae.html

phone: (519) 661-2111  ext. 84688    fax: (519) 661-3961