Neural Net Programming/Research Job at Rutgers-Newark Neuroscience

Mark A. Gluck gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu
Tue May 16 17:04:04 EDT 2000

Neural Net Programming/Research Job at Rutgers-Newark Neuroscience

The Gluck and Myers labs Rutgers-Newark have a part-time position
available for a computer programmer.  We are looking for someone with
very strong programming skills who is capable of independent work.
Hours and salary will be by arrangement, commensurate with experience
and assigned work; there is also the possibility of course credits for
independent study in computer science, psychology or neurobiology.  We
are looking for someone who can contribute to one or more of the
following projects.  Prior coursework dealing with brain systems and
learning is not required for any of these projects, although an
interest in brain science would be desirable. For more information on
our research and the Memory Disorders Project at Rutgers-Newark, see
the web pages listed at bottom of email.

There is the training potential in this job to learn more about NN
models, the neurobio of learning and memory, and the cognitive
neuroscience of memory, etc. Significant contributions to research
will be acknowledged by author-credit on on academic research papers.

An ideal candidate might be someone who is looking to do a year or two
of research and work in a research laboratory before applying to
graduate school in a related area.

Work duties will span three projects:

1) Computational neuroscience.  We develop neural network models of
the brain and learning, focusing on the role of specific brain
structures such as the hippocampus and basal forebrain.  We are
looking for a programmer with a strong background in C or C++ with
some experience working with neural networks to modify and extend
existing code; experience with Unix systems and the Solaris operating
system is essential.

2) Behavioral test development.  To test our computational models, we
perform behavioral tests in normal people and people with various
memory impairments.  These tests take the form of computerized
"games".  We are looking for a programmer with experience using
object-oriented languages to implement new tests.  Currently, our
tests are written in SuperCard and SuperLab languages for Macintosh.
Familiarity with these languages is not essential, but the successful
applicant will be prepared to learn them.  Some prior experience with
Macintosh computers is essential.

3) Applications programming.  We have several existing behavioral
tests, programmed for the Macintosh, which need to be reprogrammed to
run under Microsoft Windows using a platform such as Visual Basic,
Visual C++ or MatLab.  Strong experience with one of these platforms
and with Windows is essential.

If interested, please email both gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu and
myers at pavlov.rutgers.edu with information on your background
experience, relevant skills, and future career goals. Please give
emails for three people who can write letters of recommendation for
you.

    Mark A. Gluck
    Associate Professor of Neuroscience

    Catherine E. Myers
    Assistant Professor of Psychology

Dr. Mark A. Gluck,  Associate Professor
Center for Molecular
      and Behavioral Neuroscience          Phone:  (973) 353-1080 x3221
Rutgers University                                              Fax:
(973) 353-1272
197 University Ave.
Newark, New Jersey  07102              Email:  gluck at pavlov.rutgers.edu

WWW Homepages: