PhD and PostDoc positions

Herbert Jaeger herbert.jaeger at gmd.de
Thu Aug 3 13:33:47 EDT 2000

DOCTORATE AND POSTDOCTORATE POSITIONS FOR RESEARCH ON BIOLOGICALLY
ORIENTED INFORMATION PROCESSING

New doctorate and Postdoc research positions are open immediately at
the German National Research Center for Information Technology (GMD,
http://www.gmd.de/) in the Institute for Autonomous Intelligent Systems
(AiS, http://ais.gmd.de/).

In the interdisciplinary arena of neural information processing,
robotics, cognitive science and neurobiology, AiS will intensify its
research on biologically inspired neural information processing
systems. Research will focus on the aspects of stochasticity,
parallelism, asynchrony, self-organization and high-bandwidth
communication between subsystems. The methodological focus within AiS is

on mathematical modeling and robot implementations. The biological
side is substantiated by collaborations with leading neuroscience and
ethological research institutions.

Within this wide field, we solicit applications of young researchers
who combine a broad scientific curiosity with the desire and the
training to achieve "hard" results (mathematical models, algorithms,
robot implementations). The candidate should have an education in
computational neuroscience, (neuro-)biology, mathematics, control
engineering, computer science, physics, cognitive science or related
areas. A characteristic of both PhD and postdoc positions at GMD is
intellectual freedom. The positions are not connected to pre-defined
projects but admit (indeed, require) that candidates define their own
research objectives within the general research framework of AiS.

For the PhD positions we expect a university degree (master, diploma).
Payment will be in agreement with German BAT 2a salary (corresponding
to university research assistants) in a part-time (19 hrs/week)
contract. The position will be granted initially for one year, with a
possible extension for two further years on mutual agreement.

For the postdoc positions, we expect a PhD and a significant research
record. Contracts will be full-time BAT 2a (equivalent to university
research assistants) for 2 years initially with a possible extension
of one further year.

GMD is an equal opportunity employer.

Full applications should comprise a CV, copies of university degrees
(including marks), letters of reference, a publication list, and -
importantly - a research plan. We encourage sending a preliminary
application by email, consisting of a CV, a publication list, and a
statement of research interests.

Please direct applications and inquiries to

Dr. Herbert Jaeger                  Phone  +49-2241-14-2253
GMD, AiS.BE                         Fax 2241-14-2384
Schloss Birlinghoven
D-53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany

email: herbert.jaeger at gmd.de
web: http://www.gmd.de/People/Herbert.Jaeger/