new book: Intelligent Data Analysis, An Introduction

Michael Berthold berthold at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Sep 20 18:23:04 EDT 1999

The following textbook might be of interest to readers of the
Connectionist mailing list:

          "Intelligent Data Analysis: An Introduction"
                           edited by
               Michael Berthold and David J. Hand
          (Springer-Verlag, 1999. ISBN 3-540-65808-4)

  The idea for this book arose when, through teaching classes on IDA
and doing consulting work, we realized that there was no coherent
textbook to which we could direct students or interested researchers
and practitioners in the field. We considered writing such a book
ourselves, but abandoned this idea when we realised how wide would be
the range of topics which should be covered.  Instead, we decided to
invite appropriate experts to contribute separate chapters on various
fields, and we took pains to ensure that these chapters complemented
and built on each other, so that a rounded picture resulted. Our aim
was that, rather than focusing on state-of-the-art research, where it
is always difficult to tell which ideas will turn out to be really
important, each chapter should provide a thorough introduction to its
domain.  The areas covered are:

  - Statistical Concepts (Chapter 2)
  - Statistical Methods (Chapter 3)
  - Bayesian Methods (Chapter 4)
  - Analysis of Time Series (Chapter 5)
  - Rule Induction (Chapter 6)
  - Neural Networks (Chapter 7)
  - Fuzzy Logic (Chapter 8)
  - Stochastic Search Methods (Chapter 9)

  The book begins with an introduction to the field of intelligent data
analysis (Chapter 1) and concludes with a discussion of applications
(Chapter 10) and a list of available tools (Appendix A).

The table of contents and the preface can be accessed from the Springer
(Germany) web-site at:
  http://www.springer.de/cgi-bin/search_book.pl?isbn=3-540-65808-4

We hope that the community will find this book useful.