Paper available

Cornelius Weber cweber at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 13 11:40:32 EDT 1999

The following ICANN'99 conference paper is now available on-line.

Orientation Selective Cells Emerge in a Sparsely Coding Boltzmann Machine

Abstract:
In our contribution we investigate a sparse coded Boltzmann machine
as a model for the formation of orientation selective receptive fields
in primary visual cortex. The model consists of two layers of neurons
which are recurrently connected and
which represent the lateral geniculate nucleus and primary visual cortex.
Neurons have ternary activity values +1, -1, and 0, where
the 0-state is degenerate being assumed with higher prior probability.
The probability for a (stochastic) activation vector on the net obeys the
Boltzmann distribution
and maximum-likelihood leads to the standard Boltzmann learning rule.
We apply a mean-field version of this model to natural image processing
and find that neurons develop localized and oriented receptive fields.

http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~cweber/publications/99sparseBM.ps

6 pages, 180 KB.