JPSTH paper

hiro hiro at ladyday.kyoto-su.ac.jp
Fri Sep 10 02:18:47 EDT 1999

The following paper has been accepted for publication in Neural Computation and
is available from

http://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~hiro/jpsth_rev3.pdf

-----------

Model Dependence in Quantification of Spike Interdependence by Joint
Peri-Stimulus Time Histogram

Hiroyuki Ito and Satoshi Tsuji

Department of Information and Communication Sciences, Faculty of
Engineering, Kyoto Sangyo University, Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8555,
Japan and CREST, Japan Science and Technology.

ABSTRACT
Multineuronal recordings have enabled us to examine context-
dependent changes in the relationship between the activities of
multiple cells. The Joint Peri-Stimulus Time Histogram (JPSTH) is a
much-used method for investigating the dynamics of the
interdependence of spike events between pairs of cells. Its results are
often taken as an estimate of interaction strength between cells,
independent of modulations in the cells' firing rates. We evaluate the
adequacy of this estimate by examining the mathematical structure of
how the JPSTH quantifies an interaction strength after excluding the
contribution of firing rates. We introduce a simple probabilistic model
of interacting point processes to generate simulated spike data, and
show that the normalized JPSTH incorrectly infers the temporal
structure of variations in the interaction parameter strength. This
occurs because, in our model, the correct normalization of firing rate
contributions is different to that used in Aertsen et al.'s ``effective
connectivity" model. This demonstrates that firing rate modulations
cannot be corrected for in a model-independent manner; and therefore
the effective connectivity does not represent a universal characteristic
that is independent of modulation of the firing rates. Aertsen et al.'s
effective connectivity may still be used in the analysis of experimental
data, provided we are aware that this is simply one of many ways of
describing the structure of interdependence. We also discuss some
measure-independent characteristics of the structure of
interdependence.

Regards.

Hiroyuki Ito
Dept. of Information & Communication Sci.
Faculty of Engineerings
Kyoto Sangyo University
JAPAN
e-mail: hiro at ics.kyoto-su.ac.jp