Positions Available

Barak Pearlmutter bap at cs.unm.edu
Sun Oct 17 03:47:24 EDT 1999

       POSTDOCTORAL, PREDOCTORAL and STAFF POSITIONS AVAILABLE
				  in
	  Blind Source Separation and Magnetoencephalography

      Prof Barak A. Pearlmutter		 Prof Akaysha C. Tang
       Dept of Computer Science	          Dept of Psychology
	Dept of  Neurosciences	        Dept of Neurosciences
       University of New Mexico        University of New Mexico
      http://www.cs.unm.edu/~bap/       http://kongzi.unm.edu

  Our growing Brain and Computation group is focusing most of its
  effort on functional brain imaging, magnetoencephalography in
  particular.  We are applying blind source separation techniques to
  MEG data, and designing and conducting experiments that take
  advantage of MEG's unique combination of high temporal resolution
  and spatial sensitivity.  The project spans the spectrum from
  experiment design and data acquisition to analysis and theory, and
  we have positions available at all levels for neuroscientists,
  computer scientists, physicists, differential geometers, etc who can
  contribute to

     - relevant theoretical work
     - developing source separation algorithms
     - implementing algorithms for processing brain imaging data
     - developing visualization tools and techniques
     - contributing to our open-source MEG software suite
     - designing and conducting experiments
     - collecting and analyzing data

  These positions are to be largely supported through funding from the
  new National Foundation for Functional Brain Imaging,
  http://www.nffbi.org/, which is supporting three centers (Minnesota,
  Mass Gen, and Albuquerque) and whose headquarters are located on the
  University of New Mexico campus.  The lab enjoys a close
  relationship with the Albuquerque High Performance Computing Center,
  http://www.ahpcc.unm.edu/, through which we have access to
  superlative computational resources, and with the nearby Santa Fe
  Institute, http://www.santafe.edu/.  We also have ties to the nearby
  VA Hospital, which hosts a 122-channel full-head neuromagnetometer.

  Applications on the Computer Science/Algorithms end of the spectrum
  should be sent to

	Barak A. Pearlmutter
	Computer Science Dept, FEC 313
	University of New Mexico
	Albuquerque, NM  87131
	bap at cs.unm.edu

  and those on the Neuroscience/Experimentation end of the spectrum to

	Akaysha C. Tang
	Department of Psychology, Logan Hall
	University of New Mexico
	Albuquerque, NM  87131
	akaysha at kongzi.unm.edu

  Applications should include a full cv, names and contact information
  of three references, and a statement of research interests.  The
  preferred format is emailed plain ascii, but emailed postscript or
  physical mail are also acceptable.  Top candidates will be
  interviewed on-site.

  The University of New Mexico main campus is on historic Route 66 in
  Albuquerque, is an official botanical garden, and is seven minutes
  by car from a major airport and thirty from a ski resort.  The state
  of New Mexico has the highest per-capita number of PhD's in the
  country, and offers outstanding outdoor recreational opportunities.
  For local information see links below http://kongzi.unm.edu/~akaysha/
  or http://albuquerque.areaguides.net/.