papers available on stereo and learning

Ning Qian qian at brahms.cpmc.columbia.edu
Wed Mar 17 11:21:12 EST 1999

   Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:07:38 +0000
   From: Geoffrey Hinton <hinton at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk>

   > I show that in the limit of continuous time, the momentum parameter
   > is analogous to the mass of Newtonian particles that move through a
   > viscous medium in a conservative force field.

   At the risk of sounding like Jim Bower, I would like to opint out that
   mechanical model was the original motivation for the momentum method.

   Geoff Hinton

The original motivation was fully discussed and acknowledged (by
citing Rumelhart, Hinton and Williams's chapter in the PDP book) in
the Introduction.  The paper went far beyond that by first showing
     m + mu

(where p is the momentum parameter, m is the mass, mu is the friction
coefficient), and then providing a stability and convergence analysis
for both the continuous and discrete cases.

Best regards,
Ning