Paper on Computational differences between asymmetrical and symmetrical networks

Dr Zhaoping Li zhaoping at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jan 29 10:37:25 EST 1999

Paper Available at  http://www.gatsby.ucl.ac.uk/~zhaoping/papers.html

Title:
Computational differences between asymmetrical and symmetrical networks

Authors: Zhaoping Li and Peter Dayan

Abstract:
Symmetrically connected recurrent networks have recently been used as models of
a host of neural computations. However, biological neural networks have
asymmetrical connections, at the very least because of the separation between
excitatory and inhibitory neurons in the brain. We study characteristic
differences between asymmetrical networks and their symmetrical counterparts in
cases for which they act as selective amplifiers for particular classes of input
patterns. We show that the dramatically different dynamical behaviours to which
they have access, often make the asymmetrical networks computationally
superior. We illustrate our results in networks that selectively amplify
oriented bars and smooth contours in visual inputs.

To appear in : Network: Computation in Neural Systems 10. 1 59-77, 1999.