connectionist symbol processing collective survey

Arun Jagota jagota at cse.ucsc.edu
Tue Jan 5 18:52:41 EST 1999

1. New NCS e-publication: collective survey
2. Forward references to NCS articles solicited

			----- 1 -----

A. Jagota, T. Plate, L. Shastri, R. Sun (eds),
Connectionist Symbol Processing: Dead or Alive?,
Neural Computing Surveys 2, 1--40, 1999, 220 references.
http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~jagota/NCS

PREFACE:

In August 1998 Dave Touretzky asked on the connectionists e-mailing
list, ``Is connectionist symbol processing dead?'' This query lead to
an interesting discussion and exchange of ideas. We thought it might be
useful to capture this exchange in an article. We solicited contributions,
and this collective article is the result.

Contributions were solicited by a public call on the connectionists
e-mailing list. All contributions received were subjected to two to
three informal reviews. Almost all were accepted with varying degrees
of revision. Given the number and variety of contributions, the articles
cover a wide, though by no means complete, range of the work in the field.

The pieces in this article are of varying nature: position summaries,
individual research summaries, historical accounts, discussion of
controversial issues, etc. We have not attempted to connect the various
pieces together, or to organize them within a coherent framework. Despite
this, we think, the reader will find this collection useful.

CONTRIBUTORS:

	D. S. Blank,	M. Coltheart,	J. Diederich,	B.M. Garner,
	R.W. Gayler,	C.L. Giles,	L. Goldfarb,	M. Hadeishi,
	B. Hazlehurst,	M. J. Healy,	J. Henderson,	N. G. Jani,
	D. S. Levine,	S. Lucas,	T. Plate,	G. Reeke,
	D. Roth,	L. Shastri,	J. Sougne,	R. Sun,
	W. Tabor,	B. B. Thompson, S. Wermter

NCS would like to begin to maintain FORWARD references to published articles.
If you are aware of any such, e-mail to
			jagota at cse.ucsc.edu
the following information for each such reference

	CITING ARTICLE: FULL REFERENCE
	NCS CITED ARTICLE