New report available

Jiri Sima sima at uivt.cas.cz
Fri Feb 19 04:07:53 EST 1999

Dear Colleagues,

the following report

Sima, J., Orponen, P. A Continuous-Time Hopfield Net Simulation
of Discrete Neural Networks. Technical report V-773, ICS CAS,
Prague, January, 1999.

is now available on-line at

http://www.uivt.cas.cz/ics/reports.html

Abstract:

We investigate the computational power of continuous-time
symmetric Hopfield nets. Since the dynamics of such networks
are governed by Liapunov (energy) functions, they cannot
generate infinite nondamping oscillations, and hence cannot
simulate arbitrary (potentially divergent) discrete computations.
Nevertheless, we prove that any convergent fully parallel
computation by a network of $n$ discrete-time binary neurons,
with in general asymmetric interconnections, can be simulated
by a symmetric continuous-time Hopfield net containing $14n+6$
units using the saturated-linear sigmoid activation function.
In terms of standard discrete computation models this result
implies that any polynomially space-bounded Turing machine can
be simulated by a polynomially size-increasing sequence of
continuous-time Hopfield nets. Similar techniques as here yield
corresponding results on the convergence time and computational
power of discrete-time Hopfield nets.

Comments are welcome,

  Best regards,

-- Jirka Sima

Mgr. Jiri Sima, CSc.
Department of Theoretical Informatics
Institute of Computer Science, Czech Academy of Sciences
Pod vodarenskou vezi 2, 182 07 Prague 8, Czech Republic
phone: (+4202) 66 05 30 30      e-mail: sima at uivt.cas.cz
fax: (+4202) 85 85 789          www: http://www.uivt.cas.cz/~sima