Postdoc position in Computational Motor Control

Stefan Schaal sschaal at usc.edu
Tue Feb 9 12:10:49 EST 1999

Postdoctoral Position in Computational Motor Control

The Computational Learning and Motor Control Laboratory at the
University of Southern California, which is part of the Kawato
Dynamic Brain Project at ATR in Japan, is looking for an outstanding
postdoctoral fellow in Computational Motor Control. The position
is available starting from April 99, initially for one year, but
can be renewed until Sept. 2001.

  Research topics of our group are strongly interdisciplinary.
On the one hand, we are interested in developing formal theories of
how the mammalian brain solves problems of sensory motor control.
On the other hand, we also try to test these theories with humanoid
robots, ranging from human-arm-like robots up to a full-body humanoid
with a complete oculomotor and vestibular system. We also employ
behavioral experiments to compare human performance against robot
performance and our developed theories. A strong emphasis of our
research lies on developing statistical learning mechanisms for the
self-organization of motor control, for instance, applied to the
learning of internal models, the self-organization of internal
representations, or high-level topics like imitation learning.
More information can be found at:
http://www-slab.usc.edu   or  http://www.erato.atr.co.jp

  The ideal candidate for this position has a strong background in
statistical learning and neural networks, in computational neuroscience
of motor control, in behavioral motor control, as well as in dealing
with experimental and computer equipment. The candidate is expected
to independently lead research projects, supervise students, and
interact with our Japan-based part of the project through visits to
Japan. The postdoctoral position allows a great deal of flexibility
concerning the research topic as long as it fits within the broad
range of our group's interests in computational motor control.

  Before sending any formal applications, including a CV and at least
3 letters of recommendation, send a (brief!!) email letter of intent to
sschaal at usc.edu (Dr. Stefan Schaal), briefly describing your past
and current research interests, and how you would imagine to
integrate in our projects.

Stefan Schaal

Assistant Professor
Computer Science and Neuroscience
University of Southern California, HNB 103
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2520
               &
Head, Computational Learning Group
Kawato Dynamic Brain Project (ERATO/JST)
ATR, Japan

phone: (213) 740 9418
fax:   (213) 740 1510