Noise in I&F neurons: from stochastic input to escape rates

Hans Ekkehard Plesser plesser at pegasus.chaos.gwdg.de
Mon Apr 26 10:37:38 EDT 1999

Dear Connectionists!

I would like to announce a paper on noisy integrate-and-fire dynamics
that has been accepted for publication in Neural Computation:

  Noise in integrate-and-fire neurons:
       from stochastic input to escape rates

  by Hans E. Plesser and Wulfram Gerstner

The paper is available on-line at

  http://www.chaos.gwdg.de/~plesser/publications.html  .

Abstract:

  We analyze the effect of noise in integrate-and-fire neurons driven
  by time-dependent input, and compare the diffusion approximation for
  the membrane potential to escape noise.  It is shown that for time-
  dependent sub-threshold input, diffusive noise can be replaced by
  escape noise with a hazard function that has a Gaussian dependence
  upon the distance between the (noise-free) membrane voltage and
  threshold.  The approximation is improved if we add to the hazard
  function a probability current proportional to the derivative of the
  voltage.  Stochastic resonance in response to periodic input occurs
  in both noise models and exhibits similar characteristics.

Hans E. Plesser

Hans Ekkehard Plesser
Nonlinear Dynamics Group             Tel.  :     ++49-551-5176-421
MPI for Fluid Dynamics               Fax   :     ++49-551-5176-409
D-37073 Goettingen, Germany	     e-mail: plesser at chaos.gwdg.de