New Paper

Antonio d'Acierno dacierno.a at irsip.na.cnr.it
Thu Apr 15 09:22:57 EDT 1999

[ Reposted due to a computer glitch that truncated the abstract.
	-- Dave Touretzky, CONNECTIONISTS moderator ]

Dear Connectionists,
the following paper
"Back-Propagation Learning Algorithm and Parallel Computers:
The CLEPSYDRA Mapping Scheme"

(accepted for publication on Neurocomputing) is available at my web
site:
http://ultrae.irsip.na.cnr.it/~tonino

Abstract
This paper deals with the parallel implementation of the
back-propagation of errors learning algorithm. To obtain the
partitioning of the neural network on the processor network the author
describes a new mapping scheme that uses a mixture of synapse
parallelism, neuron parallelism and training examples parallelism (if
any). The proposed mapping scheme allows to describe the
back-propagation algorithm as a collection of SIMD processes, so that
both SIMD and MIMD machines can be used. The main feature of the
obtained parallel algorithm is the absence of point-to-point
communication; in fact, for each training pattern, an all-to-one
broadcasting with an associative operator (combination) and an
one-to-all broadcasting (that can be both realized in logP time) are
needed. A performance model is proposed and tested on a ring connected
MIMD parallel computer. Simulation results on MIMD and SIMD parallel
machines are also shown and commented.

 SIMD Parallel Computers

I welcome any comment and suggestion for improvements!

Thank You and Rregards.
--
Antonio d'Acierno
IRSIP - CNR