Paper on topological semantics

Michael J. Healy 425-865-3123 michael.j.healy at boeing.com
Mon Apr 12 11:08:37 EDT 1999

This is now out in the latest issue of Connection Science.  I have a
supply of reprints and will be glad to send one to anyone who is
interested:

M. J. Healy (1999)
"A Topological Semantics for Rule Extraction with Neural Networks",
Connection Science, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 91-113.

This is the paper I referred to in the Connectionists on-line discussion
on connectionist symbol processing and in the follow-up issue of Neural
Computing Surveys.  It introduces a mathematical approach to analyzing
the semantics of neural networks and their applications.  It surveys the
point-set-topology version of the approach; a more involved category-
theoretic version is intended for a later paper.

The main example given in this paper concerns the adequacy of a specific
neural network architecture for rule extraction.  Items discussed in
addition to the mathematical background include issues in learning from
data, specialization hierarchies, the concept of a prototype data object,
continuous functions and rule-based systems, formal verification, and
how the topological approach might be applied to neural network analysis
and design.

Mike

Michael J. Healy                          A
                                  FA ----------> GA
(425)865-3123                     |              |
FAX(425)865-2964                  |              |
                               Ff |              | Gf
c/o The Boeing Company            |              |
PO Box 3707  MS 7L-66            \|/            \|/
Seattle, WA 98124-2207            '              '
USA                               FB ----------> GB
-or for priority mail-                   e             "I'm a natural man."
2760 160th Ave SE  MS 7L-66               B
Bellevue, WA 98008
USA

michael.j.healy at boeing.com          -or-            mjhealy at u.washington.edu