Neural Interface Jobs

Steve Potter spotter at gg.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 7 00:09:51 EDT 1999

Dear Connectionists,

This is a follow-up to a post I made to the list circa 1991, when I was a
grad student and had decided to study learning in cultured neural networks.
I asked the list who was working on such things and got a number of helpful
replies.  Several led me to Caltech, where I have spent the last 5 years
working with Scott Fraser and Jerry Pine, building gadgets and learning
techniques to make my dream possible.  I am now recruiting a post-doc and a
computer software/hardware person to help me out on this project.  Please
spread the word!

-Steve Potter
spotter at gg.caltech.edu

___________Please Distribute to Interested Parties_________________

I have two positions available immediately for:

1. Neural Interface Programmer
2. Postdoc in Neural Coding

See the hypertext version of this announcement at:
http://www.caltech.edu/~pinelab/jobs.html

New Neuroscience Technology for Studying Learning in Vitro:

Multi-electrode and Imaging Analysis of Cultured Networks

I received a 4-year RO1 grant (1 RO1 NS38628-01) from the National
Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke at the National Institutes
of Health.
We are developing a two-way link between a network of cultured neurons and
a computer, capable of stimulating and recording brain cell activity
continuously for weeks. We are interested in observing the process of
self-organization in the cultured neural network, using multi-electrode
arrays, optical recording using voltage-sensitive dyes, and 2-photon
laser-scanning microscopy. We are carrying out this cutting-edge
interdisciplinary project within the labs of Prof. Jerry Pine and Prof.
Scott Fraser.
Pine lab: http://www.caltech.edu/~pinelab/pinelab.html
Fraser lab: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~fraslab/

More details about the jobs can be found at the web address at the top.

Please send or email me your resume or CV:

Steve M. Potter, PhD
Principal Investigator
Senior Research Fellow
spotter at gg.caltech.edu